Thursday, April 29, 2010

Activism log 7

Janet Audette

Nina Perez

WST 3015

4/4/10


Activism log 7:

Activism:

Next week is our event so it was crucial to flyer as much as possible and do everything we can to get the word out. I spent a lot of time flyering my neighborhood and talking to people about the event. I also relied on the “friend network” of word of mouth and that actually seemed to generate a lot of interest. Never underestimate the power of contacts.

Reflection: As I thought about what was involved to get people to attend our event and acquire enough donations to make an impact I began to think about the article by Antrobus. The Global Woman’s Movement discusses the characteristics of the movement and what is involved to make something a movement. “A woman’s movement is a process, discontinuous, flexible, responding to specific conditions of perceived gender inequality or gender related injustice” (Kirk, Okazawa-Rey 631). Our own movement is much the same of process of Antrobus women’s movement.

Reciprocity:

This event is monumental to our group. It is pretty exciting to see what we can accomplish when we set our minds to something. I am really hoping that we get some people to foster and care for some animals. I am also hoping that we get enough donations to make a difference. I have collected a few things myself and am excited to pass the items along.

Kirk, Gwyn and Okazawa-Rey, Margo. "The Global Women’s Movement." Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. 5th Ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2010. 629-636.

No comments:

Post a Comment